Bukayo Saka has been ruled out of England’s double-header with Australia and Italy after being assessed by medical staff at St George’s Park.
The 22-year-old reported for international duty despite missing Arsenal’s 1-0 win over Man City on Sunday, but after being assessed by the England medical staff was released back to his club to continue his rehabilitation.
Gareth Southgate is not expected to call up a replacement to his 25-man squad.
He had defended Saka’s inclusion when the squad was announced last Thursday, saying: “There’s another seven days before we play Australia and 10 days before we play Italy.”
Saka limped out of Arsenal’s 2-1 Champions League defeat in Lens last Tuesday, days after he had been forced off late in their 4-0 win at Bournemouth.
His absence from the win over City, which took Arsenal joint-top of the Premier League alongside rivals Tottenham, ended a run of 87 consecutive Premier League appearances for the winger.
Manager Mikel Arteta said after the match he would not link up with England for their games over the international break, but he travelled to their East Midlands camp on Monday alongside his colleagues before he was later released.
“No, he will not make it,” Arteta said. “He has not trained for a single session.”