The concept of “out of bounds” on the goal line is different in soccer than in many other sports. Depending on who touched it last or where the ball left the field of play, different situations will unfold. Pitches come with corner flags that denote sidelines from goal lines to help referees navigate the complex rules of soccer, among other things.
What are corner flags used for in soccer?
The primary purpose of corner flags is used by the referee to separate the sideline from the goal line. In soccer, a ball hit off the pitch using the goal line results in a corner kick, while a ball going out of bounds on the sideline calls for a throw-in. To make this distinction easier, corner flags sit in all four corners and are typically around five feet tall. Sitting in the corner makes it so the ball passes inside or outside the flag, allowing the officials to make a call easily. Besides marking boundary lines, corner flags serve other smaller purposes like alerting players of wind direction that can affect the angle of long passes or shots.
Things To Consider
When looking for corner flags, you’ll want to consider the following:
- What size corner flag are you looking for?
- How much do you want to spend on a corner flag?
- What type of corner flag do you want?
- Do you want the corner flag to be easily removable?
What are you looking for in corner flags?
- Easy to transport
- For official use
- For practice
Whether it be folding or spring-loaded, corner flags are built to ensure player safety while they dribble the ball close to the sidelines.
Folding corner flags are a convenient offshoot of regular corner flags that allow them to be stored far more easily and without taking up as much space. Folding corner flags use a foldable design that keeps the flags firm and upright in the wind but flexible if players collide with them mid-match.
- Easy to store
- Flexible but firm
- Easy to use
- Not as firm as normal corner flags
- Not very durable
Spring-loaded corner flags are the ideal selection of corner flags. Strong and durable, these corner flags feature spring-loaded bases that bend in any direction when hit, snapping back into place after contact. Not only do these flags prioritize player safety, but they are also durable enough to last multiple seasons under the worst of weather.
- Firm and flexible
- Prioritize player safety
- Durable and long-lasting
- Slightly more expensive
- Not as easily stored and transported
Soccer equipment is produced by many but perfected by few. Only a few brands have properly integrated into the corner flag market.
- Champion Sports: Champion Sports sells top-shelf corner flags in a variety of styles and prices. From collapsable to spring-loaded, Champion is the go-to brand with fair prices.
- Kwik Goal: Kwik Goal is one of the best overall brands for soccer equipment but charges much more for many of the same products as other brands. However, if you’re looking for reputable, durable corner flags Kwik Goal is a great place to start.